26 February 2008

My kind of day

My mother always comments that I talk more about my family on my quilting blog than over here, which is sort of true, but mainly, it's because it doesn't seem like most of my days are very interesting. Today is a good example - it was busy, lots happened, but worthy of blogging? Not really. Except this once, as an example! So here it is:
  • 7am: got up, had a shower, got dressed, fixed hair (1 minute), made bed, woke up kids, got them dressed & downstairs
  • 7.40am: the two girls I childmind in the mornings and after school arrived, had a quick chat about the week with their mum, got breakfast for everyone, fed gerbils & gave the wheel and cubbyhole in their cage a quick clean, made & packed lunches for my kids, ate some toast, drank half a cup of tea (I never manage to get through the whole one), got papers, books, homework, water bottles, French folders, lunch order for next week, school trip permission slip, together for school and packed backpacks
  • 8.25am: shoes and coats on, time to walk to school
  • 8.50am: went inside school to run uniform shop (Tues am only), misc other errands at school relating to PTA and library
  • 9.40am: went home, had a proper cup of tea, got some stuff ready to post, read some email
  • 10.25am: back to school (in car this time) to collect Sarah for orthodontist appointment
  • 11.08am: arrive at orthodontist early (appt for 11.20) but get seen straight away (yeah!) and find she still has too many baby teeth for them to start fitting for the removable top and bottom braces she'll start out with - set a new appt for 6 mos time to see if she has lost rest of small teeth. Finish with ortho before time of actual appt, so decide to nip into Starbucks and grab a coffee to take with me
  • 11.40 am: drop Sarah back at school, head to New Malden to stand in very very long post office queue in order to get passport applications (UK) for kids checked and sent off - which takes about 20 minutes itself. Won't even mention how much it cost, as it was just stupid. Also remember to pop into shoe shop with loyalty card (10th pair of shoes free) and Olivia's receipt from new school shoes bought over half-term, when of course I had forgotten to take the loyalty card with me. Oh and one or two bits in grocery store, of course.
  • 1pm: eat lunch. check a few emails. pop over to help Lana square up some large backings for customer quilts
  • 1.50pm: make some nine-patch blocks for quilt group Thursday am
  • 2.55pm: walk back to school for pick-up. collect kids, come home, find snacks, empty backpacks, bookbags, lunchboxes. Drink a cup of tea (mostly). Cook early dinner (5pm) for kids as this is an evening where I childmind (only 3 afternoons a week, but every am). Wash up. Pour glass of wine.
  • 5.45pm: spare kids collected by their mum, I actually had a chance to read a little bit of my book as well during this time as Geoff & I are eating leftover cold roast chicken (no cooking) and fried potatoes (his job) so no dinner to cook; supervise clarinet practice
  • 6.45pm: help wash up, comb girls' hair for nits, ensure reading is done for school, get Alex to bed (tonight handled by Sarah and Daddy)
  • 8pm: watch a little telly, more hair combing, check some emails, drink cup of tea, get girls to bed (mostly done by themselves) watch CSI and other stuff, more email stuff, blog
  • 12.15am: finish blogging, shut off computer, go to bed

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I give up. You are right. I am probably the only person reading this blog who actually enjoyed reading about your day. Anyway, I always read your quilting blog, so I get "all the news that's fit to print" one way or another.

And, if I haven't said it before - you amaze me with how organized you are and how much you accomplish in one day!

Mom

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Ooh your day sounds like many of my days!! A little of this and that, a little work, and a lot of toing and froing!
Know what you mean about the passport apps. We've just had to update 2 of ours here..an adult and a child's...ridiculous prices!!

Totty Teabag said...

Passports! Don't mention passports! It will now cost me £170 to renew my passport while living out of the country. It used to be handled by the local Consul who sent out the forms by post, then forwarded everything to the Embassy in the diplomatic bag. They issued the new passport and returned it by recorded delivery. Total cost of the last one was £70. Now the whole thing is handled by a private firm in Ireland because the Embassy "hasn't got the staff".

sewkalico said...

I'm going to have a rest. I feel tired all of a sudden after reading this post LOL

Jacqui said...

Hi Kate
Long time no hear - checked your blog - you sound as busy as us (tho I am not doing the quilting and dying of stuff and you seem to take lots more pics)...My day is punctuated by who needs to do what and when - and the full day at school to add in to the mix (all good fun - you should check out my blog which is http://hood-edwards.blogspot.com for all our up to datish info - particularly the fact that we are of course in New Zealand (minor bit of information slipped in quietly!!!) Love to all of you Geoff and the kids and glad you are happy and busy if knackered

love Jacqui (and all my crew!!!)