02 September 2002

Did something last night I haven't done for ages - slept for almost 12 hours. Amazing. I was up really early yesterday & couldn't get back to sleep, plus I spend a number of hours being dragged around a children's farm by the little one (Sarah was at a birthday party there) - most of Olivia's enjoyment seemed to come from frequent trips to the toilets - there were special small ones for little kids, and some of them had red seats. This made a big impression. But when they've only been using actual toilets for a month, you have to take them every time, because it really might be an emergency. And although there are toilets at several points on the farm, we of course had to use the small ones, which were right by the entrance... The other thing she loved was the hand washing facilities. That's one of her favourite activities anyway, and a place that exhorts you to wash your hands every time you touch some animals, well, probably that's Olivia heaven. But she enjoyed it, which is the important thing. Wore me out, though - I ended up going to bed at 8.30. Pregnancy doesn't help, of course, but I had hoped to be able to finish quilting a baby quilt I'm making which I need done for Friday. It's almost done, so I'm not too worried, but it would have been nice to have enough energy to finish it off, then sit & watch Notting Hill, which was on telly - the perfect mindless evening. However, I have taped Notting Hill so will have my mindless evening another time.


We've had guests for the weekend - Cathi & Dave from Ireland - and the girls spent most of their time making Cathi lie down on the sofa and show them her bump (she's pregnant - due in November) so they could watch and see if the baby moved. I'm hoping this means they'll be receptive to having a new baby themselves - not that they have much choice in the matter, but one can hope they'll be enthusiastic rather than merely tolerant. We'll see, I guess. I'm sure they'll get used to it in time. They both really enjoy other people's babies, although Sarah claims she doesn't want another sister (or a brother). I'm sure Olivia does want one - we were watching a friend's baby the other day (about 10 months old) and Olivia wouldn't leave her alone - kept bringing toys to play with and so on, until she had to be distracted with the paddling pool. (Always works - it's that water thing again.)

No comments: