03 May 2015

Dinner, 3/5/15: Goan Pork Vindaloo with Potatoes


Recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation (and originally from her Curry Bible). When my kids are away, I often take advantage of that to eat things they don't like. Hence last night's dinner featuring peppers in large quantities, as Olivia was at a sleepover. Tonight, Sarah is out, so we're having something particularly spicy - she likes moderate spice, but not quite as much as the rest of us. 

The actual recipe for this is not that spicy, despite the reputation of vindaloo curries. However, we had a couple of Scotch Bonnet chilis in the fridge which needed using, so I added them in. This made it just about the perfect spiciness - too hot for Sarah, way too hot for my mother (though in the old days, she would have loved it), but not so hot that it was all heat and no flavour. Instead, the flavour was intense, with just that kick of heat to it. Perfect. And very, very tasty. I let it marinate about 2 hours as I put it in before I went to the gym this afternoon and cooked it when I got home.


No comments: