10 January 2009

A Rant about Seasonality

We had a very frustrating shopping trip today, Olivia and I, most of which I will spare you the details of (though in retrospect, it's sort of funny - a lot of unsuccessful errands - I came home, told Geoff about them all (poor him) and finished by saying the only thing that was really successful was I did find a new black bra - pulled it out of the bag - and it still has the flipping electronic security tag on it so I have to go back to the shop to have it removed! (it's one of those ink kind, so forceably removing it would probably ruin it)).

Anyway, what I will complain about is gloves. One of the items on our list was another pair of gloves for Olivia - she has one, but they are a little small in the fingers, and anyway, sometimes one gets misplaced or they get soaking wet, etc. Now, in case you are living in India or something, and aren't aware of it, January in the UK can be pretty cold. Particularly this year. The high today was about -1C. Ok, it's not Antarctica, but hey, it's cold. Guess how many shops I looked in for kids gloves (I lost count after about 6). Guess how many had any. Guess what they did have - their SPRING lines. Did I mention that it's January? Did I mention that the high today was about -1? Two supermarkets I was in briefly were putting out Easter Chocolates. Easter is in April. It's January. I HATE this. There should be a law. OK, enough said....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the same here in The Netherlands. I have had a very hard time to find my 13 year old daughter a new pair of boots in December. They were already putting shoes for the summer at the shelves. At a time that is still was called autumn! Ad to that that my daughter has difficult feet, you will know my problem! We got lucky in the end, but it took us about 3 weeks. Now I am hoping that she will not out grown them before the end of this winter.........

Kathy said...

Here's another different twist on seasonality and common sense. You probably don't remember this, but years ago, we were in Florida and I tried to find a pair of children's sandals for you to wear. It was winter, but in Florida the temperatures were summer-like. Despite the warm climate, the stores only had winter shoes, which one doesn't often need in Florida. They only carried sandals in the summer.