Saturday, September 13, 2014
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Tuesday, September 09, 2014
Monday, September 08, 2014
Sunday, September 07, 2014
Haven't managed to get down to the Pick Your Own to get corn really fresh, but it's not bad in the supermarket at the moment. A nice accompaniment to this easy lamb steak hotpot, which is essentially just some lamb steaks cooked over a few tins of bins, a tin of tomatoes, an onion and some spices... Plus, there are beans left for lunch tomorrow. Yum.
Saturday, September 06, 2014
Thursday, September 04, 2014
Wednesday, September 03, 2014
Geoff thought this was a bit like Puttanesca sauce, but with chicken - there were no olives in it, or chilis, but definitely similar, as the sauce had tomatoes, achovies and capers in it...
Finally, the last piece of furniture (the bed) has arrived for Olivia's room, which was the last in the redecoration saga earlier this summer. So I guess it's about time to show some photos. Very hard to take photos of a room which show the whole thing... Here's the wall across from the door - the chimney breast has a feature wallpaper, but the rest of the walls are simply off-white.
She has a new dressing table and chair to suit the more grown-up, vintage style to the room
and a very simple wardrobe to replace the yucky built in cupboard, which was flush with the chimney breast, and thus not deep enough to actually hang a proper, adult size, clothes hanger in. You can also see the new floor (same as in the rest of the house), which is a big improvement on the carpet. The only rooms now without this type of flooring are the kitchen (vinyl), hallway & steps (carpet, but nice carpet chosen by us, not left by previous owners) and the loft bedroom/Sarah's room, which still has the rather granny carpet left by the previous owners. But it's in good shape still, so it's staying at least for the time being.
Here's the view towards the window, showing her new bed - we kept the existing curtains as they were actually quite new and in good shape, and even though the colours aren't quite perfect (they have blue in them) they are nice...
This is the new bed - a white metal day bed, in a vintage style, which looks very sweet.
And of course some storage space - a set of shelves and a bookcase. She's very happy with it, not surprisingly. And it's so spacious, compared to what it was like when the girls were sharing it.
Tuesday, September 02, 2014
First day back to work for me, plus I wanted to go to the gym after work, so a meal which could mostly cook itself before I got home - along with some of the excellent bacon we bought in Yorkshire to bring home... Yum.
Monday, September 01, 2014
A new one for us, from Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation. I confess, I didn't follow the recipe precisely, as we don't deep fry in our house. I steamed the cauliflower florets in the microwave and boiled the potatoes, then fried them lightly in a frying pan before adding them right at the end. I really liked the fact that this used the other bits of the cauliflower - not sure I've ever done anything with them before, but it works really well in this and also, not so wasteful!
WHAT WAS FOR DINNER, AUGUST 2014
- 31st: Roast Pork, roast potatoes, cabbage
- 30th: Find your own
- 29th: Chicken & Salad
- 28th: Leftovers
- 27th: Lasagne, Salad, Fruit & Custard Pies
- 26th: Cottage Pie, Sweetcorn, Beans (KA cooking)
- 25th: Out to lunch at Bistro Saigon, sausges & roast potatoes for dinner!
- 24th: Out to lunch with John & Angela
- 23rd: Chili con Carne with rice (from freezer)
- 22nd: Veggie Stir Fry with Dumplings
- 21st: Pasta all' Arrabiata
- 20th: day out
- 19th: Chinese Style Noodle Soup
- 18th: Jambalaya
- 17th: German Sausages, Salads
- 16th: Ham and Cheese Quiche, Oven Potatoes
- 15th: Pretzel Chicken with new potatoes and green beans
- 14th: Mince masala with courgettes
- 13th: Teriyaki Salmon, new potatoes, roast beetroot
- 12th: Out with friends
- 11th: Sausage, Vegetable and Bean Casserole
- 10th: Leek Fritters, Sweet Potato Wedges, Corn Muffins
- 9th: Vegetable Curry
- 7th: Salad of Shredded Chicken, Green Beans and Barley
- 6th: Tricolour Taglietelle
- 5th: Sausages, New Potatoes, Beetroot Tops
- 4th: Spanakopita
- 3rd: Lamb Cutlets, Roast Beetroot, New Potatoes, Salad
- 2nd: Lunch out at Wisley
- 1st: Prawn Curry