02 February 2009

Snow Day




7am phone call from someone at school to say, school cancelled and did I have the password to put an announcement out on the local radio station (this is to keep from kids doing stuff for pranks) and could I call everyone I knew and let them know.


The kids, needless to say, are totally thrilled. We've never had school cancelled for snow before (which is fair enough, as we've never had a heavy enough snowfall to cause problems). There's about 8-10 cm on the ground (3-4") and it's still falling. They are saying we could get up to 15cm by midday and although ironically I laughed with my mom on the phone last night and said it would never happen here, I believe it now... Actually, when I went to bed I did think it still really looked like a snow sky and wasn't altogether surprised to see it this morning.





These photos were taken about 7.15am - it's darker in the photos than it was outside, though it wasn't fully light yet. The kids (who got out of bed and dressed faster than I've ever seen before and certainly faster than on a school day) had to go out and have a play, though I have told them we're not going to the park until later - 7am is a little early for me to want to troop to the park to build snowmen. Anyway, it's not like there's any danger of the snow going away - it's nice and cold out there.





It will be good for snowball and snowman building, too, as it's the right kind of snow - heavy and packable, but not too wet. Just right! I'm sure there will be even more photos later after our trip to the park. Now I know some of you live in places like Wisconsin, Colorado and Finland where there is proper snow all the time in the winter, but hey, this is London - it's pretty unusual for us. Apparently it's been 18 years since schools in this part of London had to be closed for snow. Or so I heard through the grapevine this morning!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow! A real snow. I can imagine how much fun the kid have had today playing in the snow. I trust you showed your angels how to make snow angels. The only thing lacking in your area is a hill for sledding, but I doubt if anyone has sleds, so it won't matter. We are due for some snow tonight and tomorrow AM, but I doubt it will equal yours.
Mom

black bear cabin said...

Totally Awesome!!!