24 December 2012

It was Christmas Eve, Babe...


So we did our annual going up to town to look at the lights and windows.  We don't usually do it on Christmas Eve, but this year, there wasn't much extra time before the end of school and Christmas, and if you wait until after Christmas, they cover all the windows with big sale signs and you can't see the decorations.


This year, Harrods had a Disney princess theme, which was fairly good - not the best I've seen, but by no means the worst.   I took tons of photos as I am trying to break in my new camera - still getting the hang of it - but I will only share a few here.  The scene above was obviously from the Cinderella window.


This little frog was from the window called Tiana, who I understand is from The Princess and the Frog, which I've not seen. 


This was Pochahontas, whose dress was made of feathers and whatnot - very cool. 


I can't remember whose window had the Chihuly glass sculpture - perhaps Ariel (Little Mermaid). 


Of course, we went inside Harrods as well - we always like to have a brief look around the food hall, which is fairly magnificent at any time, but even more so at Christmas. 


We don't usually buy anything, as it's very expensive, but I did like this display of pomegranates.


Then we usually get a bus up to Oxford Street (sometimes stopping in Hyde Park for the Winter Wonderland, but not this year, as the girls were still a bit under the weather from having been sick yesterday) and check out Selfridges - this photo is one of those I really wish was in focus, as we'd be reflected in the silver bauble straight ahead... Oh well.

We then made our way down to Regent Street  - can't remember what street this was in, but I really  liked the juxtaposition of these two signs - not Christmassy, just amusing!


Here are the decorations in Regent Street - we checked out Hamleys and then went through Carnaby Street and on through Soho to get back to the tube at Picadilly Circus - we were hoping to get an ice cream at Scoop, but they were closed...


Oh well, maybe next year!

No comments: