11 October 2015

Book 97: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle


Believe it or not, I'd never until now actually read any Sherlock Holmes (except pastiches). It's so much a part of our culture that I am familiar with most of the stories, but in terms of the actual books, nope...  Partly this is because I've never been a huge fan of short stories (though I think I may be beginning to come around on that), and I think there are only four full-length Holmes tales, this being one of them. That said, I'd probably read other Holmes, even short stories, as I found this very enjoyable, even knowing quite a bit about the plot in advance.  I picked this one up in a charity shop (not this cover, unfortunately, but I couldn't find the cover of the edition I have - there are hundreds of editions!) and decided to give it a go. I probably won't buy other ones new, but if I see them lurking around in charity shops, I might well pick them up.

No comments: