01 November 2015

Book 103: Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi


I read most of this, though I confess, not quite all of it. I enjoyed parts of it very much; it painted an interesting picture about the Revolution in Iran and how different women with different religious and political beliefs coped with that life. In parts, I found it a bit disjointed, jumping about in time back and forth, which I appreciate is often the nature of memoirs - that they are often episodic with incidents sparked by association rather than by chronology. And part of the problem was that I hadn't read all of the books mentioned (primarily Lolita; some of the others I am familiar enough with the work of the author in general that discussion of a book, even if I hadn't read that precise text, was ok - e.g. Henry James). But on the whole, an interesting, enjoyable read.

No comments: