01 August 2020

July reading update


This year, I'm just going to keep track of books I read as I go through the year - not worrying about how many books I have waiting to be read or anything like that. So each month's roundup will just be a picture collage showing the books I've read, with a running tally for each month. I think I'll break down new (to me) books and re-reading as well. And maybe pick a favourite each month. This could change as the year goes on... Once again, I'll set my goal as 100 books - it's about what I have time for, more or less.

So, in July: new (to me) books read: 5; books re-read: 9
Favourite Book in June: The Singer's Gun, Emily St John Mandel
in June: new (to me) books read: 4; books re-read: 2
Favourite Book in June: Muse of Nightmares, Laini Taylor


 in May: new (to me) books read: 5; books re-read: 1
Favourite Book in May: Toffee by Sarah Crossan

in April: new (to me) books read: 6; books re-read:  0
Favourite Book in April: A Boy and his Dog at the End of the World, C A Fletcher

in March:  new (to me) books read: 5; books re-read:  5
Favourite Book in March: The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och Dag

in February:  new (to me) books read: 6; books re-read:  0
Favourite Book in February: Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus

in January:  new (to me) books read: 6; books re-read: 3
Favourite book in January:  Once Upon a River, Diane Setterfield

In July, I read:
  • The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - I picked this up after really enjoying Once Upon a River, back in January
  • I needed something that I knew I'd enjoy and Geoff has been re-reading the Harry Potter series, so I was inspired to pick up Garth Nix's Abhorsen series again, and re-read them, except for Clariel, which is good but a backstory to one of the other characters rather than part of the main story arc, and I didn't want to interrupt the flow.  Might read it again later this summer. (Sabriel. Lirael, Abhorsen, Goldenhand)
  • I read the second in Jill Paton Walsh's Imogen Quy series (A Piece of Justice)
  • I re-read a handful of young adult books, as well as a new book by the author that was the sequel to one of the books (The Start of Me & You, The Map From Here to There, The Names They Gave Us, Open Road Summer by Emery Lord)
  • I read a book from my shelf by an author I've read several others by (The Singer's Gun, Emily St John Mandel)
  • I re-visited a Mary Stewart I haven't read in a while, as I needed a quick evening read (Stormy Petrel), then another when I had finished this one (My Brother Michael)
  • I read a children's book I've had on my kids' book pile for a while - as I'll be in Year 4 next year rather than Year 6, it's not really suitable for my new class - a little too old - but I'll take it into school for the Year 6 bookshelves... (The Boy Who Hit Play, Chloe Dakin)


No comments: