08 December 2003

School fayre yesterday (why do they always spell it that way for school fairs, I wonder?), which went well. Sarah and I went over in the morning to help set up, and then I worked in the Santa's grotto (lots of elf jokes) for the first hour - it was quite fun, actually. And a lot of people showed up to help set up, so we were actually ready on time, which was super.

It's amazing how much work it takes for something like a school fair, though. If every parent in the school gave an hour of time, it would be nothing, but as it's a very small percentage helping out, those who do help, end up doing a lot. I don't mind that, in principle, what bothers me is the attitude some parents (admittedly, not many of them; most are fine) have of doing everyone a favour if they do deign to work for an hour at some game or stall. OK, yes, I also only worked one hour on a stall on the day, but I also showed up at 9 in the morning to set up. Not to mention 2 hours on Friday evening. And 2.5 hours every Friday since October. And stuff at home. So there. Not that I said this to anyone, mind you, but sometimes you're tempted!

No comments: