06 March 2008

100 Things...

I saw on Totty's blog (there was a mention on her quilting blog, but her real efforts are on her other blog) recently an idea for decluttering - to remove 10 things a day for 10 days, resulting in 100 objects decluttered. Now I'm not the type of person who has trouble throwing things away - I'm not overly sentimental about objects and I do go through my stuff fairly regularly and get rid of things, but there are always those things that simply don't get thrown away (or whatever). Anyway, the idea has stuck in my mind, so I've decided to give it a go - not necessarily doing 10 things a day for 10 days, but I'm going to remove 10 things some days, and show what they are, because that's kind of fun in a sad, quirky way.



Anyway, here are today's offerings, with commetary... From under the sink, a gadget for keeping small children out of cupboards (all of my children are old enough to open these gadgets now which is why it's under the sink rather than on the handles - so why am I still keeping it?); a ball for using liquid detergent in the washing machine (haven't used it in years - they have these lovely liquitabs now); three net bags for using powder tablets in the washing machine (counted as one object - and I haven't used that in years, either); an old washing up brush which is a bit skanky and has been replaced by a new one - I was saving the old one "in case I needed it for something"; a free sample of fabric softener (which I don't use because Geoff is senstive to these things and it might bother his skin - so why am I keeping it?); a suds pump which doesn't work properly any more (ditto). From the little trolley with lunchboxes, placemats and other bits on it - a set of napkins rings we never, ever use and a trivet I was given years ago which I never really liked all that much and consequently don't really use. And from Alex's room - a paper "firework" which has been gathering dust for several weeks now and a shaker (otherwise known as empty bottle with beans in it). The two plastic bottles have gone into the recycling, the cupboard lock, napkin rings and trivet to the charity shop, and everything else, into the trash. Tune in tomorrow (or some day) for more exciting de-cluttering!

2 comments:

Totty Teabag said...

Good luck on your mission! I still have the kitchen, snug, sewing room and paper room to forage in, but as I have passed the 100 item mark, I think I'll leave them until next year. I don't want to overdo it...

alice said...

What a great idea! I'm currently stuck on my garage cleanout, maybe this strategy will work.

Alice (the California one)