31 December 2014

What I read in 2014


Looking back at my book lists for the past few years, I see that I tend to read about a hundred books a year - this year, I'm sure it's a bit less, as I know I haven't been averaging 8 books a month, especially the latter half of the year. Still, it's worth checking. This is the list in reverse order, and includes books I didn't finish, which I will have to subtract from the total. The important thing, though, is not how many, but which ones I thought were best. In the manner of previous years, I have highlighted those I thought my absolute favourites (not counting re-reads) and underlined the ones I thought very good but not quite among the best...

It's unusual this year in that a non-fiction book made my list of favourites - I have a strong preference for fiction and don't really read much non-fiction, but I'd been meaning to get around to Barbara Kingsolver's book about her family's experiment in living locally (foodwise) for a while, and was not disappointed - it was highly readable and very thought-provoking without being preachy. Of course, I really enjoy her fiction, so I knew the writing would be good.

Turns out, there are 91 books in the list. Of these, one I haven't yet finished (it's on the Kindle, which isn't mine, so I don't like to take it out of the house and sometimes it's being used when I'm inside. I counted it, though, as I will finish it). Of the others listed, there seem to be only 5 I didn't like enough to finish. Amazing - usually there are at least twice that many. Which means that I've read 86 books this year, which is just over 7 per month, which is not as bad as I thought it would be!
  • Northanger Abbey, Val McDermid
  • The Christmas Mystery, Jostein Gaardner
  • The Accidental, Ali Smith
  • The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell
  • The Dovekeepers, Alice Hoffman (Dec 2014)
  • Dead in the Family, Charlaine Harris
  • One Moment, One Morning, Sarah Rayner
  • Lost Dogs, Kenton Kilgore
  • How the Light Gets In, Louise Penny
  • The Anteroom, Kate O'Brien (Nov 2014)
  • Allegiant, Veronica Roth (YA)
  • Insurgent, Veronica Roth (YA)
  • Divergent, Veronica Roth (YA)
  • The Virgin Blue, Tracy Chevalier
  • Dead and Gone, Charlaine Harris
  • The Beautiful Mystery, Louise Penny
  • Bones to Ashes, Kathy Reichs (Oct 2014)
  • The Secret Scripture, Sebastian Barry
  • Bury Your Dead, Louise Penny
  • The Unfortunates, Laurie Graham
  • The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton
  • Under the Tuscan Sun, Frances Mayes (Sept 2014) (mostly)
  • The Glassblower of Murano, Marina Fiorato
  • Angelmonster, Veronica Bennett
  • The Elusive Language of Ducks, Judith White
  • The Brutal Telling, Louise Penny
  • Where Three Roads Meet, Sally Vickers
  • No Book but the World, Leah Hager Cohen
  • The Girl who Saved the King of Sweden, Jonas Jonasson
  • The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver (August 2014)
  • The House of Silk, Anthony Horowitz
  • Unexploded, Alison McLeod
  • Perfect, Rachel Joyce
  • My Life as a Fake, Peter Carey
  • Rule Against Murder, Louise Penny (July 2014)
  • Tinkers, Paul Harding
  • Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • There but for the the..., Ali Smith
  • 1000 Days in Venice, Marina de Brasi
  • Sisterland, Curtis Sittenfield
  • In the Time of Butterflies, Julia Alvarez
  • Black Narcissus, Rumer Godden
  • The Last September, Elizabeth Bowen
  • From Dead to Worse, Charlaine Harris
  • All Together Dead, Charlaine Harris
  • Life After Life, Kate Atkinson
  • That Summer at Hill Farm, Miranda France
  • Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen, Susan Grigg Gilmore (May 2014)
  • Washington Square, Henry James
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, G W Dalquist (50pp)
  • Garment of Shadows, Laurie R King
  • Sex and Stravinsky, Barbara Trapido
  • The Road, Cormac McCarthy (re-read)
  • I Know this Much is True, Wally Lamb
  • The Enchanted April, Elizabeth von Ardin (re-read)
  • The Silver Metal Lover, Tanith Lee (re-read)
  • The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
  • Margarettown, Gabrielle Zevon (April 2014)
  • The Witch's Daughter, Paula Brackston
  • The Brief History of the Dead, Kevin Brockmeier
  • Lunch in Paris, Elizabeth Bard
  • Number 9 Dream, David Mitchell
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Agatha Christie (reread)
  • An Icy Cold Grave, Charlaine Harris
  • Death on the Nile, Agatha Christie (reread)
  • Definitely Dead, Charlaine Harris
  • Dead as a Doornail, Charlaine Harris
  • A Caribbean Mystery, Agatha Christie (reread)
  • The Moving Finger, Agatha Christie (March 2014)
  • The Cruellest Month, Louise Penny
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Catheryne Valente
  • Stardust, Neil Gaiman
  • Murder on the Orient Express, Agatha Christie (reread)
  • Black is the Colour of my True Love's Heart, Ellis Peters (reread)
  • Dead Cold, Louise Penny
  • Acceptable Loss, Anne Perry
  • The Piper on the Mountain, Ellis Peters (reread)
  • The Monster in the Box, Ruth Rendell
  • Never Pick up Hitchhikers, Ellis Peters (reread)
  • Break no Bones, Kathy Reichs
  • Brooklyn Bones, Triss Stein (50pp) (Feb 2014)
  • Grave Secrets, Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight, Charlaine Harris
  • The Return of the Soldier, Rebecca West (half)
  • Embers, Sandor Marai
  • The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, Rachel Joyce
  • Olive Kitteridge, Eilzabeth Strout
  • Food of Love Cookery School, Nicky Pellegrino
  • The Almost Moon, Alice Sebold (50pp)
  • Bitterblue, Kristen Cashore (Jan 2014)
I can't really choose a favourite, but I have to say that The Bone Clocks, The Goldfinch and Life After Life were all particularly good - though I expected to like them all as I've like at least some of the other books these authors have written. Olive Kitteridge was by an author I didn't know, but I thought it was fantastic. And surprisingly for me, a non-fiction book made the top part of the list - I'm not a big reader of non-fiction. But Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle was highly readable and very interesting, about her family's attempt to live for a year sourcing almost all their food locally and ethically. Thought provoking, but not, I thought, in a preachy way.

No comments: