16 December 2002

Another playgroup event today - the official Christmas party. I had volunteered to stay and help, so I got to see these kids in action, and it's amazing how good they are for people other than their parents. At least, I assume my children are not the only ones who are much more of little terrors at home than in public (of course, when you think about it, that's preferable to the opposite situation). When they arrived, they all sat down on some blankets - and this was twice the number as usual, as most kids only go 2 days a week, so these were the Monday/Wednesday kids as well as the Tues/Friday kids - and sang songs while we finished getting the food ready. Then they all went to the little tables and sat down and ate their food. And the amazing thing is that they STAYED sitting down in their seats most of the time. If they could bottle that and sell it, they'd make a fortune. :)

Then there was an entertainer - I'd say a clown, but she didn't do the makeup and stuff, which is probably just as well for kids that age, who might be slightly frightened by that sort of thing. They loved her, and she was quite funny even from an adult point of view, which was nice for those of us watching. And then a visit from Father Christmas. All in all, a lovely little party - just what I'd expect from this playgroup actually, which is very good quality. I'm sure she'll be sorry to leave it & also sure we'll try to get no 3 into it when he's old enough. The group has been going for about 35 years now, and I think that shows - they are clearly really well thought-out and organised about some of these things, so you can tell they've had some practice.

Tomorrow we've got a nativity play, and luckily, no sign of chicken pox in our house yet (it struck Joseph down last week, and as Sarah is playing Mary, we were understandably concerned). They'll probably wake up with it Christmas morning or something. But frankly, as I've been expecting Sarah to bring it home ever since she started school, I shan't be surprised when she does. And as I'm not working anymore, at least I don't have to worry about how we'll manage the time off...

No comments: