12 June 2003

Since getting back from Ireland, things have been pretty busy, not with anything in particular, just the usual stuff, but dealing with kids just takes up so much time, as many of you know. Still better than my job was at the end, though, so I'm not REALLY complaining, just a little good natured griping, especially after a generally grumpy afternoon... And now, to top it off, I've developed conjunctivitis in my right eye (here's hoping it won't spread to the left. Or to the kids...), which I'm sure is going to drive me bananas. Short trip, as Andy (my former stepdad) would say.

Tomorrow at school there's the start of a "balloon race" - each kid can buy a balloon, then they are inflated with helium, a stamped addressed (to the school) postcard with the child's name is attached in the hopes that whoever finds the balloon, if indeed it's found, will return the card. Whoever's balloon comes from the farthest away wins the race. I've offered to help blowing up and assembling the balloons (if I can still see, that is!) and at 2.45 the school will all gather to let them go. Should be fun, and an added bonus is that they are using biodegradable balloons - I didn't even know they made biodegradable balloons, but glad to hear it, as I know a lot of schools do these sort of races. Wonder how long it will take to start getting cards back? I think they're planning to announce the results at the school fair, which is about the 6th or 7th of July. Apparently, balloons from Surrey have been returned from as far away as Sweden in the past. Wouldn't that be exciting for the kids. Of course, knowing my luck, our balloons won't even get the cards returned - but then, perhaps Sarah is luckier than I am - she did win a pound on the treasure hunt at the Scout Fair, after all...

No comments: