14 February 2008

Fruity Muesli Cookies



They were going to be oatmeal raisin, until I pulled out the oatmeal and discovered 1 cup instead of 3. Quick rummage in cupboard - aha! Fruit and nut muesli - mostly oatmeal anyway, right?

Combine in a bowl:
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c margerine/butter/shortening (or combo thereof - I always bake with marg due to a dairy allergy in a child I mind), softened
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Beat until smooth, then add:
1 c plain flour
3 c oatmeal (or muesli, or combo thereof)
1 c raisins (or other dried fruit to taste - I used half raisins, half dried cranberries)

Stir until combined*; drop mixture onto baking trays in heaped tablespoonfuls; bake in a 170C oven (375F) for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly browned. nb: I usually find that the batter wants more oats/muesli than the recipe calls for - I don't like it too sticky, so I add a bit more by sight if I think it's too gloopy - usually another half cup or so, maybe a whole cup if I'm using muesli instead of oats (which pack down more). This makes a slightly drier cookie - still chewy in the middle, but not quite so oozy.

Remove from oven and cool on rack ASAP (or they will stick to the trays and you'll never get them off). For some reason, I've never got around to converting this to metric, probably because it's such a simple recipe - takes a whole block (250g) of marg, so no measuring fats anyway...

*small helper who is more likely to get mix on counter or floor than in bowl optional, but very cute.

No comments: