18 August 2011

Ham House


(located in Ham, near Richmond, thus the name). Taking advantage of the kids being at tennis camp, my mother and I went off to have a look at Ham House, a 17th century estate which I've never visited, despite it being no distance at all from where I live - 20 minutes drive or so.


It was lovely - no photos from inside the house as there was no flash photography allowed and not many from the garden as it was quite rainy - and we really enjoyed it. I've been meaning to go for ages - besides it being local, I've heard good things from a friend's mum, who volunteers there. We didn't bump into her today, but funny enough I did bump into a friend and former colleague from my New Scientist days - I knew she lived in Kingston, so it's not totally surprising, but it was rather unexpected to walk into Ham House and have her be the person I had to show my ticket to!


While we were walking through the house, there was a group of 3 kids, similarly spaced in age to mine (though younger overall) who were wandering around the house playing games and exploring - I couldn't help thinking how nice it was to be able to stroll through a place of historical interest without having to worry about kids touching things or being too loud or whining about being bored...


...and of course tea and cake in the cafe was much cheaper for two than it would have been for five people!


No comments: