17 April 2015

Book 31: The Cat's Table, Michael Ondaatje


This was great. I've read other Michael Ondaatje books before (most famous title of his is probably The English Patient, which I don't think I've actually read), so I knew he could write, so I guess it's not surprising, but still - always nice to find. It's the story of a young boy's (told in retrospect, with some of his adult life interspersed) journey from Sri Lanka to England on board a large ship, and what happened on board. I really enjoyed the way that got inside the young boy's point of view enough so that we, as adult readers, could sometimes see what he was seeing from an adult perspective, but sometimes, not quite get the full picture until a little more had been revealed. A good story, with interesting characters and great writing. 

No comments: