07 February 2016

Book 10: The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge


This is a "young adult" title  - and although not much would make me want to be a teenager again, some of the YA titles I've read in recent years put forward a strong case - if only there was that much excellent YA fiction when I was younger...  Still, doesn't stop me from reading it now! This is a hard book to categorise; it's mostly a historical novel. about a girl whose family moves to a remote island for her father to work in an excavation. Or, it's mostly a book about a Victorian girl's complicated relationship with her parents. Or, it's about a mysterious tree which grows when you feed it lies and which everyone seems to be trying to find and secure for their own nefarious purposes. Anyway, however you look at it, it was excellent; I shall be looking out for more by this author.

No comments: