15 October 2019

Book 76: Milkman by Anna Burns


I've been reading this one for a little while, interspersed with other books. While not precisely difficult, it does take a certain amount of getting into, with the sort of stream-of-consciousness narration style. It's kind of like going to a Shakespeare play - it takes a few minutes for your Shakespeare brain to kick in. Anyway, when I was feeling particularly tired, I couldn't really face picking it up - and I knew I'd not enjoy it as much, so I tried to read it when I had longer periods to read and wasn't too exhausted.  Anyway, well worth persisting with; it's  a remarkable work: somewhat dark in nature (set in Northern Ireland during The Troubles), dealing with a young woman/girl who is being stalked by an IRA supporter - sort of. And the trouble that arises from this, and from the gossip accompanying it.  But it's also darkly funny (very darkly so at times) and quite insightful. Easy to see why it won the Booker Prize.

No comments: