25 July 2003

Local time, 5.50am.

Yesterday morning, the baby was wide awake, wanting to play, at 4.30am. Today, he's fine, but I'm wide awake. Granted, it's not 4.30, but 5.30 still isn't my ideal time to get up. But I'll be danged if I'm going to lie in bed not sleeping for more than a half an hour... Anyway, there's always email to read and blogging to do and that sort of thing - might as well make productive use of the time!

Didn't do a lot yesterday, as we were still recovering a bit and easing into the whole thing. Went to the supermarket and stocked up on general kid fodder and a little junk food. I'm trying to resist that a bit, though I'm sure I'll eat some of my favourites - the ones you can't get in the UK, anyway (fritos!) Then we went to the playground and the library and just basically hung around in the neighbourhood. There are quite a few kids here and they tend to hang around outside in the evening, which is nice. I'm sure Sarah and Olivia will make friends with some of them before long, though many of the older ones seem to be boys. That won't stop Sarah, of course. She might even prefer it. She misses having her bike, though, as riding up and down is one of the primary activities of the kids here. We'll try to find a used one somewhere.

I'm sure today we'll do something more touristy, like the Maryland Science Centre or a museum or something like that. Haven't decided what yet, as that will partly depend on the weather. One day next week, we'll try for the beach or the water park, but both of those are quite a drive away, and I'm not sure we want to do either of them on a Friday. Certainly not the beach. Anyway, we'll see. When the others are up and about and making decisions, I guess we'll work something out. Not like everything has to be planned in advance anyway...

No comments: