09 September 2007

Sad news



I had a call from my brother early this morning to say that my dad had collapsed suddenly yesterday and died. A bit of a shock, although he has not been in the best of health for some time (he had diabetes among other things). They think it was perhaps a stroke, but aren't certain yet. I spoke to my stepmom after I talked to my brother (she hadn't been able to get through to me directly - they live in Mexico, and perhaps the phone lines between here and there aren't always talking properly) and she will be arranging all the details - as he was in the military reserve for many years after leaving active duty, he wanted to have a military funeral, and I think that's an excellent choice for him. She will be taking care of all the arrangements, which makes sense, though of course it's hard on her (though perhaps it helps to have things to do), but when dates and venues are decided, I'll fly over to the US for the funeral, etc.

Will keep you posted as I learn more.

2 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh Kate..I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my dad a few years ago and can understand how hard the whole thing is when you are so far away. I hope all goes well with your flight to the US and I'll be thinking of you. BIG HUGS!

country girl said...

This is my first visit to your blog. Actually I got here through your quilting and fibre blog. I've just begun quilting and am hooked. I'm so sorry about your dad. It's hard to be that far away from family. Take care of yourself; it's easy to forget that in stressful times.