30 May 2014

Friends & Dinosaurs & Pirate Ships - oh my!


We met up with some friends who were down in London (from Yorkshire) for a few days, and had a trip to the Natural History Museum. I'd forgotten just how packed it gets in half-term, but it was a lovely time nonetheless, even with a slightly impatient toddler (is there any other kind?) in tow.  

Luckily, I had a couple of teenage girls with me, who helped entertain the other kids while my friend and I chatted.  Perfect!


It was really hot and stuffy in parts of the museum, especially in the hallway which connects the two halves of the museum, so we didn't spend very long looking at the remarkable collection of stuffed birds. 


Alex spent a lot of time on the floor with our littlest friend. I think he enjoyed having a surrogate younger sibling for a while.



My friend's boys were a little tired from spending yesterday trekking around the zoo, but I think they enjoyed the dinosaurs nonetheless...




...despite all the queueing...



Sarah even got sucked into having her photo taken!


I really enjoyed having a chance to look at all the interesting stonework - someday I'd like to have a look at some of the rest of it, in other parts of the museum. It's all remarkable. 







I had fun photographing the shadows as well. Luckily, we were moving very slowly, so there was plenty of opportunity to look at stonework and shadows!




And the kids all enjoyed the animatronic T-Rex at the end.


( a peek out the window)


We were all flagging a little by this point, I think - mainly because of the stuffiness...


So we headed out to Kensington gardens for a bit of fresh air, and a trip to the Diana Memorial Playground to climb some pirate ships. 



The crows' nest is at the top of that mast you can see...

Once again, the girls were brilliant, as they took over watching the little one, while my friend and I sat and drank coffee & tea.


And then a little trip on the top of a double decker bus before heading home.



Alex enjoyed the day, having found someone he could spend time talking about Minecraft to, in addition to everything else!

1 comment:

Veronica Roth said...

Amazing! Lovely photos Kate. The children look so sweet, all of them; especially Sarah. What a beautiful young lady. I tried my hand at stone carving at Art in Action last year and just about killed my wrist...but it was fun to try. Can't wait to be in E this summer and get to London a time or two. x