30 August 2015

Apricot & Plum Shortcake



This is one of those really simple recipes, which is great for using up fruit which is getting past its best. I know the recipe in imperial measures rather than metric because of the fours, but it would be simple to convert:  4oz sugar, 4 oz butter, 4 oz self-raising flour, 4 oz ground almonds, 1 egg. Process in food processor until it forms a rough dough.  Pat half of the dough into a lightly greased small cake tin (I think I use one which is about 6 inches in diameter). Now add a layer of fruit - I think stone fruit works best (stones removed), or perhaps berries - we are partial to plums and I know tonight's shortcake with apricots worked very nicely indeed.  Then put the rest of the dough on top - I usually pat it into thin pieces and patchwork it on the top - it looks like it won't be enough to cover, but it will.  Now, into a moderate oven (Gas 4/180C) for 40 minutes (or so).  And that's that.

No comments: