21 August 2015

Book 84: Ratking by Michael Dibdin


This is the first in the Aurelion Zen series of books, recommended to me by a friend when I was talking about books to read, set in Italy. I thought it was great - a little confusing keeping track of the characters from time to time, but on the whole. well-drawn, well-plotted and authentic feeling (to the point of wanting to throw the book across the room in frustration with the Italy political and legal system). Will definitely read more of this series. [Though a note on the TV adaptation, which I haven't seen - I like Rufus Sewell as much as the next person, but why choose him to portray someone who is explicitly described, early in the book, as being "a distinguished looking man of about fifty with a pale face whose most striking feature was a nose as sharply triangular as the jib of a sailing boat"?]

No comments: