01 June 2016

Book 52: If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor (re-read)


"If nobody speaks of remarkable things," asks one of the characters to his small daughter, "how will we know they are remarkable?" I picked this up in a charity shop recently, thinking that I had read it before, possibly (apparently, according to my lists, for a postal book group in 2004) but although there was a sense of familiarity as I read it, I didn't remember the main plot points at all, which was great; like coming to it again. And what a lovely book to come to again. The writing is unusual but just perfect for the story and despite the sense of impeding disaster, or perhaps because of it, it's uplifting at the same time. And more I shan't say as I don't want to ruin it, but honestly, I hope I can read it again in another 12  (or more) years, having once again forgotten the one or two major things which might otherwise be spoilers!

1 comment:

Tracey said...

How funny Kate, I re-read this after a few years too, about two months ago!
I remember being a little irritated at first by the writing style, but was absorbed by how the story just lilts along.
I enjoy reading your blogposts. X