10 July 2007

Dulcet tones of the clarinet

There has been a big push recently at school about music & musical instruments; consequently, both girls have expressed an interest in learning to play something. Lessons can be done through (and during) school, but are fairly expensive, so I have struck a bargain with the girls: I will teach them how to read music and the basics of how to play the clarinet (we have my old one still) - if they keep up their interest and practice over the next year, and are still interested at the end of next school year, I will sort out lessons for them for the following year. (If they keep up interest for a year, they'll need a better teacher than me - I'm a bit rusty.) Today is the second day of the enterprise and enthusiasm is still high. Both of them manage to make sounds on the instrument; Sarah has very quickly picked up the basics of reading music (but obviously is very slow as she has to work the notes out each time - still, not bad for a near beginner - they've done very little at school about notes). I think we are going to have a squeaky summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm rusty on the clarinet too! Music is great for kids, and it's supposed to help with maths and stuff too.