20 July 2007

Instant water park!



My goodness, what a day. We had the most torrential downpours this morning - about 4 inches of rain in less than two hours. And consequently, tons of flooding, as the drains just can't cope. Luckily, not in the houses where we are, though the back garden was completely under water. It's going down now, though.

The kids had a short day of school, as today was the last day, so on the way home, we let them muck around in all the water in the park (the park tends to flood anyway, if there's too much rain, but it usually takes a few days' rain to build up, as opposed to an hour or two). Luckily, it was warm, so it wasn't too unpleasant. They had a great time of course. And actually, the adults had some fun, too, especially the two dads who were around.

The top photo is my friends Sophie (whose girls I childmind three days a week) and Lorayne at the entrance to the park - this is the bit that always floods, though usually, we are talking about an inch or two, not a foot or more! - and some of the kids - Katarina, Eliza, Gabriella and Sid. The rest were around somewhere. I took tons of photos, which you can see in my flickr album, and several little videos, which you can see below.








3 comments:

Nikki said...

And I have been complaining about the rainy days here near Seattle, Washington. I guess I can deal with some drizzle.

sewkalico said...

OMG!!! Cute videos, but quite scary stuff. Hope you all stay dry.

Thelma said...

Wow Kate, That is a lot of rain. Hope you stay dry and safe!