29 January 2012

Jan 29th: Pears in red wine (new!) with vanilla ice cream


Recipe Sources:  Pears - Good Food Magazine, Dec 2011 (Michel Roux Jr); Ice Cream - Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and Dessert Book.

Tasting Notes:  The pears were gorgeous - after this photo was taken, I poured some of the sauce around the pears, which made it look even better. They were just right in texture - lovely and soft (you could cut them with a spoon) while still being a bit resistant to bite.  The recipe only used 6 pears but mine were fairly small and we had more than 6 people, so I just did the number that would fit readily in the pan. I probably could have done two or three more.  We'll definitely do this again.  The ice cream is my standard vanilla recipe, I make it a lot. In fact, it took me a while to find in the recipe book because I never use the book to make it!  I also use this recipe for fruit ice creams - for instance, blackberry in the summer - I just add a bit less milk to the recipe and use the fruit juice instead, maybe reduce the amount of vanilla.






No comments: