02 January 2015

Book 1: Watership Down, Richard Adams (re-read)


This book was mostly read in 2014, as it has been my bed-time book  with Alex - we finished it up tonight after the panto. It's actually the second time I've read it aloud (I read it to the girls many years ago) - I've read it a number of times, not sure how many but quite a few, and it's always a firm favourite - and it always gets me. No matter how many times I read it, I'm still tense, wondering if the rabbits will succeed in their endeavours (no spoilers!) and if the plans will come together this time. That's the sign of a great story, I think - that it can do that even when you actually know how the story will come out. It was Alex's first time, though, so he got to encounter all the great characters for the first time; Hazel, Fiver, BigWig, Keehar, General Woundwort and so on.  And the older I get, the more I enjoy the stories and fables the rabbits themselves tell. I keep meaning to get a really good grip on where Watership Down is, so I can make sure we drive past it some time if we are ever in the area, but never quite get around to it!

No comments: