04 January 2015

Book 2: Arabella, Georgette Heyer (re-read)


I've been a fan of Georgette Heyer for a long time, and have read (and re-read) many of her books, though I'm sure not quite all of them - she was very prolific. She is a clever plotter of historical romances, and the characters - and her observations about them - often remind one strongly of Jane Austen; the main difference of course being that Austen was observing her contemporaries. Frequently when I feel a bit lazy in my reading - not adventurous to try something of unknown quantity, or - as in the case this week - when I am looking for a quick read that I can put down if need be - I turn to Heyer. I also love these new, larger format paperbacks and try to pick them up whenever I see them in charity shops, etc - much easier and more pleasant to read than old, small, yellowed paperbacks!

However, Arabella is happily settled with her gentleman and my own husband has finished reading the book we ordered from the library to both read, so it's on to something completely different...

No comments: