12 January 2015

Book 5: The Long Way Home, Louise Penny


This is the latest (both to me, and unfortunately, that has been written) in the Gamache series - and while it lacks the intensity of suspense of the previous one (which had been building up for a number of books in several areas), it was still a compelling story with a clever and unexpected resolution. And frankly, I wouldn't have wanted another one as intense as How the Light Gets In, anyway!  I've really been enjoying this series a lot - a visitor left one of the books with me (A Trick of the Light - I think  number 7 in the series) when she came to lunch as she knew I read some crime fiction, and as I really enjoyed it, I went back and followed the series from the beginning. They are very well written, particularly becoming tightly-woven and polished after the first few (which are still good, don't get me wrong) and I enjoy not only the characters, but the settings, most of which are quite foreign to me. This one is a bit more personal than police, but that's ok too - it works, and works well. It will be interesting to see where she goes from here!

No comments: