06 March 2017

Book 23: This isn't the sort of thing that happens to someone like you, Jon McGregor



This is actually a collection of short stories, loosely related in some cases, set in a similar scene, with a few details building as the stories progress. I used to really dislike short stories - my feeling being that if I liked characters I wanted as much time with them as possible, but they are beginning to grow on me in my old age. Not sure if that's because there are a lot more instances of the interconnected-might-almost-be-a-novel sort of stories or whether my own tastes are changing, but I did enjoy these. Perhaps not quite as much as If No One Speaks of Remarkable Things, which I thought was super, but still, a very good read.

I actually included this in my February reads as I started it in February and thought I'd finish it right at the beginning of March, but I got sidetracked by re-reading something else and didn't finish until around the 6th. However, I'm going to leave it in the February list because then I don't have to edit the picture collage! It doesn't really matter to anyone but me, I suspect - after all, no one else knows if I'm telling the truth about when I finish a book - or, I dare say, cares!

No comments: