14 February 2018

Book 11: Reservoir 13, Jon McGregor


Well, I knew I'd like this one because I enjoyed the last of his that I read (This Isn't The Sort of Thing That Happens to Someone Like You) despite it mostly being a short story collection, which I'm not usually crazy about (these were fairly entwined) and his first novel, If No One Speaks of Remarkable Things is a truly amazing book. But what I didn't realise is how amazing and beautiful the structure would be, in addition to the writing itself. It wasn't totally what I expected (because you tend to expect books which are ostensibly about missing people to be about missing people) but that's not to say it was the worse for that - indeed, the opposite. The missing girl is the pivot point - sort of- for the rest of the action and the inaction and it's a lovely device. If you enjoy fiction, especially beautifully written fiction (and if you ever want an example of how dialogue is completely unnecessary in a book which is essentially about how people interact with one another) you really should read this. And if you aren't sure you like fiction, you should probably read this as well. Just lovely. Definitely a contender for favourite read of the year and it's only February!

No comments: