19 February 2018

Dinner, 19/2/18: Carrot and Chickpea Stew (Rita Serano)


This was from a new cookbook called Vegan in 7 - lots of cookbooks out at the moment, aiming to show people that good cooking doesn't have to be difficult with lots of ingredients, and this one is for the vegan market. I'm not afraid of cooking things with lots of ingredients or steps, but on a weeknight, it's nice to have something really simple. Looks like a good cookbook, except that there are lots of recipes with ingredients my kids don't like (aubergine, mushrooms) or can't eat (avocado - Olivia is allergic, we think, as it makes her feel sick - as opposed to just not liking it). 

Anyway, this was not bad, but not as spicy as I would have liked (easily adjusted). It also lacked a depth of flavour you find in many hearty dishes - I appreciate this is because it's hard to get that same depth in vegan food, but I wonder if roasting the carrots first would have helped. If I make it again, I might try that.

No comments: