05 May 2018

Book 36: Boy 87 by Ele Fountain


Another possible book for my class - I was worried this might be too old for them, but actually, it's fine. It's not an easy read and it deals with some tough issues, but there's nothing too old for them, really. We read Elizabeth Laird's The Garbage King as a class book (which this has some similarities to, being set at least partly in Ethiopia or an unnamed country a bit like Ethiopia) and I felt that was a bit old for them in some of it's issues. This is a bit gentler in its approach to very tough issues and a hard life, but it's a lovely piece of writing. A super addition for my recommendation basket.

I did try (and then discard) an adult fiction book between these two children's books, but children's books are really exciting me at the moment. There's just so much good stuff out there!

No comments: