20 August 2013

An afternoon with George...


Washington, that is!  We decided to take a trip to Mt Vernon, as it was something none of us had done in years (or at all) and it is pretty close to where my friend Barbara lives.  


Another friend, Jennie, who is an archaeologist has a friend and former colleague, Tom Reinhart,  who is now Deputy Director of Architecture at Mt Vernon, and he generously gave up a few hours of his time to give us a personalised tour of the house and some of the grounds.   The regular historical interpreters at Mt Vernon are very good, of course, but because he was a friend to our group, he gave us a lot more information than they are normally able to do for the visiting groups, and even took us into a couple of parts of the house - like the third floor and the cupola, which regular visitors aren't allowed into. 


Here he is with some of our group - it was my family, my mother and former stepdad Andy, my friend Barbara, and my friend Jennie and her husband and kids. 


No photos were allowed inside the house, but I took a few in the outbuildings - this is a bread oven in the kitchen - 


and outside. I didn't actually take that many photos, as it happens - must have been listening too hard to all the history!


Wouldn't you love to have this view of the Potomac from your front porch?

No comments: