15 August 2013

Take me out to the ball game


So, we decided to take a trip to the ballpark - not to see the Orioles at Camden Yard, but to see the Bowie Baysox (a AA Orioles affiliate) play the Erie Seawolves (Detroit Tigers).  First minor league baseball game I've been to, and first any kind of baseball game the kids have been to. If I lived around here, I'd definitely go more often though - AA baseball is great fun - good seats, good views, much more personal...


This is the view from the top of the stands - we sat about halfway down - from row of the benches. General admission seating, but there was no problem getting good seats. 


There was some pitching, 



there was some catching


and there was some batting (though these photos are obviously not simultaneous!).  The Baysox played in black and the Seawolves in red.


There was some running around the bases, including a few nice homeruns on both sides - the Baysox won 4-2. Whew!



There was also, of course, some eating of ballpark food - Russ bought us all candy floss (cotton candy) and later, some people had pretzels and lemonade, and others had beer and peanuts. 


I wasn't driving, so I felt no guilt at all about having a beer with my peanuts! Anyway, what's a ballgame without beer?


Alex was delighted to get a baseball from the game - we didn't catch it (though a couple came close) but a gentleman who had been catching stray fouls went around giving them out to kids in the audience - wasn't that nice?


It's a genuine Eastern League baseball!


Here's Louie, the Baysox's mascot.  There were lots of silly races and games between innings, like bungy lunging and dollar bills running and other fun stuff. 


And at the end, they let all the kids under 12 run around the bases - here's Alex about to cross home plate. It's possible I have a video of him running round the bases on my phone, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet...

Fun times were had by all!

No comments: