08 August 2012

A day in the West End


I took advantage of the kids being at tennis camp all day to have a trip up to town to do things they'd rather not do.  I started with a visit to the Royal Academy, to see an exhibit of French impressionist paintings from the Clark Collection (Williamstown, Massachusetts). Lots of lovely paintings, many Renoirs, who I love, along with Manet, Monet, Morisot, Toulouse-Lautrec, Pisarro and others. One of my favourite paintings was actually this Renoir one of onions


Here's a nod to self-portraiture - you can just see me taking this photo in the sculpture outside the RA buildilngs - coffee in one hand, of course!


I then had a little trip to Fortnum and Mason, which is always fun to poke around in. 


Then, using a book I picked up called London's Hidden Walks, I had a nice walk all around Soho - my old stomping grounds, as I used to work there for several years back in the early 00's. The book was great, as it pointed out a lot of things you might not otherwise notice, such as this arm protruding from a building, 


or this donation shute at a shelter for homeless women


or this freize, above the doorway in the Hugenot church in Soho square (services in French!).



I did a bit of blue plaque spotting, as well - this one to Mary Seacole was in Soho Square.


This is a Catholic Church, also in Soho square, which had a great design on the floor:



This was the door to Maison Tuareg, a Moroccan restaurant in Greek Street.


And here's a view of Frith Street, looking back at Ronnie Scott's, the Jazz Club (I've actually been there once, back before I moved to London, a friend who was a member took me). 


Another blue plaque - this one to Mozart -


and one at Hazlitt's Hotel - to the essayist Hazlitt, this time. 


This buildling has no historical merit whatever, to the best of my knowledge, but it's where I used to work, in Wardour Street. 


Nice to see a place with their priorities straight - I remember when this one opened, in St Anne's Court, just opposite where I used to work (such a hardship working in Soho).


Karl Marx lived here - in poverty, apparently, in two rooms and with only one maid (hardship indeed!) - things went downhill after he had an affair with the maid...  Sadly, though, several of his children died while living in Soho, one from the huge cholera epidemic which John Snow is famous for ending by making the link between the water and the disease.




A couple of nice street views, and a doorway, in one of the sex shop alleys - great door.


I took a minor detour off the walking route, to pop into Liberty -


I didn't buy anything, but it's always fun to poke around. 


The building alone is worth it, though I did like this display of buttons. 


Another blue plaque - Canaletto this time - 


and finishing with a bit of architecture on the way back to Picadilly Circus tube station. 

No comments: