27 August 2012

Bake... I mean, Bank...Holiday


Being the August Bank Holiday, the weather was less than perfect, so I decided the time had come to rid the house of over-ripe fruit.  Banana cakes/bread, using some I had and some from the freezer. This was made almost entirely by Alex (age 9) - I gave him one step at a time, and checked to make sure he was doing it right, but it was pretty much all his work. 


This one was largely made by Sarah - a fruit shortcake, in this instance using strawberries and apricots. Any soft fruit will do, though we most often make it with plums.  I tried to take a photo of it cut open, but it was too blurry. This is a fantastically easy recipe:

Fruit Shortcake:

4 oz self-raising flour
4 oz sugar
4 oz butter
4 oz ground almonds
1 egg

some soft fruit (plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, berries, maybe pears - not apples so much), halved, sliced, stoned, peeled if you like (though I usually don't)... About the equivalent of 5 or 6 plums. Or more to taste.

1. Combine all ingredients except fruit. You can do this in a food processor, with a beater, whatever.
2. Divide dough (which will be thick and firm, and slightly grainy due to the almonds,  not runny like batter) in half, pat half down in a small greased cake tin, removable sides work best.
3. Place fruit on top - I try not to go right to the edge
4. Cover with remaining dough - I usually pat it quite thin before putting it on top - seal around edges of fruit if you can - makes it less messy. 

Bake in moderate oven for 40-45 minutes. (Gas 4/350F/180C)

No comments: