02 February 2015

Book 10: PopCo, Scarlett Thomas


A few years ago I read another book by Scarlett Thomas (The End of Mr Y), which I liked a lot right up until nearly the end, and then I was a bit let down by the ending somehow (can't remember precisely why, I just didn't like it - you know how it goes).  Still, when I saw this one in a charity shop a while back I thought I'd give it a try, as I'd enjoyed most of the other one, and I wasn't disappointed. This was a very enjoyable read.  Didn't have much idea where it was going half the time or what it was going to explore next, and the bits of maths, cryptography & cryptanalysis, etc here were good fun. I found the ending much more satisfying than I remember the other book being (though there's much in the book I disagree with, in terms of life choices. And some stuff I do agree with. But that's neither here nor there...)  As a story, it holds up well, and the plot is intriguing and the characters interesting, which is, after all, the main thing which matters in a novel!

No comments: