11 June 2015

Book 54: Not the End of the World by Kate Atkinson


I'm very fond of Kate Atkinson's writing, which is why I took a chance on this (loosely connected) collection of short stories - I'm not usually a short story fan, for various reasons, most of which are probably inconsistent and ill-defined*.  These were intriguing, with allusions to and inclusions of classical mythology, and leaving many questions unanswered. One which would definitely need several readings to feel you'd really cracked (possibly more). Still not entirely convinced about short stories, though.

*One of my main issues is that when I like a character or scenario, I want more. Short stories leave me feeling like a piece of music ending with an imperfect cadence...

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hello, just popped over using Fishcake's link. Have enjoyed reading back through your blog- and added you to my list now! Weekend blessings x