05 January 2020

Be More Eco. 1: Soap


In the past few years, and particularly in the past year, so many of us have begun to really put some effort into our impact on the environment, especially in regard to plastics consumption. Yes, some plastic gets recycled, but so much of it doesn't, even if we put it in our recycling bins, that I feel better trying to remove as much single-use and low-use plastic from my life as I can.  There's still quite a bit which it's tricky to get rid of, so I'm making the changes wherever I can. I'm also looking at other ways to make my lifestyle a bit less hard on the planet.  So this year, for a while anyway (until I run out of things to say) I'm going to blog about some of my changes. Who knows, I may even inspire others to make some changes themselves - but as with all my blogging, ultimately, is less proselytising and more simply recording my own thoughts for posterity. 

I've long been a fan of soap - actual soap rather than liquid soap. I like the smell, the feel, the lathery-ness.  In light of this, and my decision to be more eco-aware,  I decided to make a move back to soap for all our hand and bodywashing needs, and ditch the shower gels and liquid hand soaps.  With the advent of zero waste shops, it is of course now possible to refill your handsoap and shower gels, so if you are a person who prefers the liquids, it's possible to use them without the environmental concerns of all those plastic bottles. Which is nice.


We do still have some shower gels around the house, as I tend to get given them as gifts from students, etc., but I'm not buying any new ones. Which is great, as I can now have four different soaps on the go at once.  Some of mine - many of them, perhaps - come from small, independent producers - craft fairs and markets are great for soaps.  Some come from larger producers (Lush - fab soaps) and some of them are gifts as well. 



And when they get down to the little stubby bits which are hard to use, I have one of these:


the little bits go inside and you have an instant scrubby. 


No comments: