10 April 2016

Book 33: Lisette's List by Susan Vreeland


This is a book I'd been waiting eagerly for, as I've enjoyed her other books very much; I'm not that sure about this one. The style is somewhat different (focusing on a completely fictional character rather than a real artist or person, though it's still highly steeped in real/realistic art) and I found the character of Lisette a little hard to get inside; she seemed quite naive and childlike, though perhaps she was just a woman of her time and I'm too far away from that time and place to really understand her (Vichy France). There were still many things I liked about the story and I did find it compelling, seeing if she would manage to find her paintings (hidden during the war to prevent the Nazis stealing/destroying them). 

No comments: