17 October 2014

Dinner, 17/10/14: Potato, Cheddar and Red Onion Pasties


These are from my main source of recipes - Good Food magazine. (Recipe here). 

I didn't change the recipe except to make my own shortcrust pastry rather than to use bought.  Plus I increased the quantities a little because I made slightly more than 500g pastry. I think I put an extra carrot in - that was it. 

On the whole, we liked them. Geoff & Sarah felt they were a little too sweet, though Olivia and I liked the sweetness in principle. Not sure Alex had a strong feeling about that. We all felt, however, that there was too much chutney - it overpowered the other ingredients. If I make these again, I will put about half the recommended amount of chutney in. Geoff likes the other kind of pastie I make (with the wholemeal crust and the spinach and potato filling) better; the kids liked the regular shortcrust pastry on this one better than the wholemeal one for the spinach pasties, which they sometimes find a little dry.  I like having several kinds of pastie recipes to choose from - if I were feeling energetic or feeding a lot of people, I might even make two kinds in one sitting. But as I said, we'd definitely reduce the amount of chutney, so you can taste the vegetables more.


No comments: