18 October 2014

Lunch, 18/10/14: Multi-Vegetable Paella, Hot Chorizo and Squash Salad, Fresh Courgette and Tomato Salad, Cornbread Muffins


Friends around to lunch today, and it was Geoff's birthday, so I cooked a little more food than usual, though not a huge amount (only two extra people). Our main course was Yotam Ottolenghi's Multi-Vegetable Paella, which I've cooked before and we all really like (except Olivia doesn't really like peppers, so that's always an issue for her). You can see the recipe for that over on the Guardian website. 


Here it is close up, before it was all stirred together.  It's really tasty - I think I almost like it better than paella with meat and seafood in it.


I also made Thomasina Miers' Hot Chorizo and Squash Salad, though I forgot to shave the pecorino on top - it was very tasty any. The recipe for that is online as well, here. 


And finally, a quick courgette and tomato salad, also from Thomasina Miers' book Mexican Food Made Simple. I didn't find this one online, so I'm including a dodgy scan of it here, just for you!





And I made some cornbread muffins with little bits of jalapeno in them - this is just my bog-standard recipe from my (very old) New Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. I don't use this cookbook for most things, but it's my standby for American basics like cornbread, American biscuits, pancakes, piecrust (though really I don't need a recipe for that, I just make it), cobbler and so on. Oh, and my strawberry tart! For muffins instead of a bigger cornbread, I just put them in muffin tins and cook about 15-20 minutes.


No comments: