26 October 2014

Dinner, 26/10/14: Lamb Shanks with Garlic and Rosemary, Mashed Potatoes


Alex had afternoon rehearsal for the Gang Show (a Scout & Guide affiliated variety performance) and I was chaperoning in the dressing rooms, so it was definitely a day which called for a slow-cooker meal.  Lamb shanks always work well in the slow-cooker, as it gives a chance for the tough, membranous part of the shank to cook away into nothing. And leave the meat lovely and tender. 

The recipe is from Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody, and I've made it before. I adjusted it a bit - I used less lamb - only about 1kg - but didn't decrease the amount of sauce - and a lot more carrots (we like carrots). I also added chopped celery so there was more veg to it. I also didn't cook it as long as the recipe says, but my slow-cooker cooks very hot (for a slow-cooker), so I'm not sure it needs as long - I did about 2-3 hours on high, and then about 5-6 hours on low.




No comments: