08 March 2015

Book 19: Maze Runner, James Dashner (YA)


Several of my kids have read this series (or part of it) and they've been suggesting I read it (partly because it's good, and partly so they can talk about what happens with impunity) so I decided to give it a go. Verdict: it's a good story, quite gripping and I'm not sure what's coming next in book 2 (which I will of course go ahead and read straight away). The character development is not quite so good as in some YA books - perhaps a little bit because the characters don't really know who they are themselves, but mostly because I think it's just more of an action-driven story. But it's very entertaining, and looks as though the series is going to take a stab at addressing at least one Big Issue (to wit: Are there circumstances in which the ends justify the means?). 

No comments: