31 March 2015

The Great Dye Eggs-periment...or, Any Colour So Long As It's Blue


So, having been encouraged by other people in dying brown eggs - both people I don't know, blogging across the interwebs and people I do know (Hi, Barbara!) - I decided to have another go at dyeing brown eggs.  I used a stronger concentration of dye than I've used before and left the eggs in for quite a while (15 minutes  or so)...and here were the results: 


The top right is a regular, un-dyed egg, I didn't dye it because it split open in boiling a bit, so I thought it would be a bit extreme inside if dyed. The others were all in dye baths. You can tell that they were coloured, if you look hard, and compare to the un-dyed egg, but on the whole, only the colours made from blues and the black really came out at all well. The red was a complete dud (bottom left - I expected better). 


So I re-did the dud ones in the blue baths and now have a load of very pretty blue and black Easter Eggs. So much for that!

No comments: