29 March 2015

Book 24: The Cuckoo's Calling, Robert Galbraith


All thoughts of JK Rowling aside, this was a super book. A very quick read (because I tend to devour crime fiction when it's good, and this was extremely good) and I've already obtained the next one in the series, though I'll probably put it aside until I need another sure-thing-crime-read (meaning one I know I'll enjoy rather than end up frustrated with for poor characters, poor plot or poor writing).   I'm not surprised this is well-written and well-plotted, as I've read the Harry Potter books, so I am well aware of just how good Rowling/Galbraith is with those things. This was just the right amount of hard-boiled for me - not too dark, but not all bright and cheery either. The plot was well-drafted and although I did consider the possibility that the murderer was indeed the murderer it was by no means a sure or obvious thing* and I couldn't quite make it work (which is why I'm not the person plotting the novel in the first place - one of many reasons). I liked both detective characters in this - Cormoran Strike and his assistant Robin and look forward to reading more of their adventures.  I'm always glad to have a couple of crime series to fall back on and as the authors I like can't write as fast as I can read, it's good to have another one (other current favourites include Louise Penny and Donna Leon).

*and anyway, I always consider how every substantial character might have done it - after all, SOMEONE has to be the murderer, right? It's not like real life where you might never track the murderer down - in books it has to be one of the characters or it's cheating!

1 comment:

black bear cabin said...

this book is sitting in a stack on my nightstand...glad to know its a good read...i look forward to it! :)